U9 Majors Lose Out To Kildare Town

Caragh Celtic 2
Kildare Town 5

1st Quarter
This was going to be a big test for Caragh after already losing to Kildare 4-2 the last time out. Kildare won the toss and they were the first to pounce with a few chances and camping themselves in the Caragh half. However, Caragh had their first goal chance from a side line ball from Jack Arnold that was presented to Niall Cramer and then over to Adam Fleming but the ball coasted wide. Then there was another side line ball that was passed to Luke Martin and Niall Cramer again got involved and then he did a lovely piece of skill with the ball and landed it straight into the back of the net to make it 1 nil to Caragh at this early stage. Then it was the turn of Kildare to attack but keeper Aaron Conway saved that attempt comfortably. Adam Carberry again showed his solid defending skills in front of goal while Josh Finan also put his body on the line to prevent a certain goal and the ball went out for a corner kick. The Caragh keeper the busier of the two and was again called into action and turned the ball past his post wide for a corner. The escape was short lived however as from the corner the ball was scrambled to the back of the Caragh net to level the score at 1-1. It could have been worse for Caragh a moment later as Aaron found himself one on one with a Kildare attacker but the ball was blasted straight at Aaron and he gathered it up easily. Kildare were really heaping on the pressure now and making the Caragh backs work really hard to keep the score at 1-1. Another corner kick for Kildare and the keeper managed to get the finger tips to the ball to keep it out again. Niall Cramer picked up a knock to his ankle at this stage and the play had to stop to accommodate for this but he quickly recovered and was able to continue.

2nd quarter
Kildare really imposed themselves here with corner after corner and Caragh did well to keep the ball out. Niall Cramer managed another shot on for Caragh but the ball went left and wide. He was then presented with another chance from a side line kick and this was then passed onto Luke Martin and then Luke managed to use his tummy to pass the ball, (very impressive stuff here – tummy ball!), back to Niall and the resulting shot just landed wide. Caragh were really getting into this game now. Luke Martin then had a chance at goal from a corner kick from Jack but again the chance strayed wide. However, it was Kildare that were to come out on top with their second goal. It was an unfortunate mix up between our keeper and defender and the ball trailed nicely into the left corner for 2-1 to Kildare. Ben Morrell showed a good few attempts at goal with his dancing feet only to be denied by the Kildare defence. Again the opposition struck with a one on one on the keeper and the ball was struck to make the score line now 3-1 to Kildare

3rd quarter
Kildare had the first chance at goal but the ball sailed over the bar due to the clever work by keeper, Ben Morrell. However Caragh were not finished yet, and pulled a goal back to make it 3-2 to Kildare. The goal resulted from a corner kick from Adam Fleming to Jack and he had a shot at goal that bounced out to Adam Carberry and then he knocked the ball in to Niall who turned home his second goal of the day. Caragh only one goal behind now! Kildare then came back at Caragh for another goal chance and there was scramble from Caragh to clear the ball but not quick enough as Kildare managed to finish to restore their two goal advantage.

4th Quarter
Caragh were not going to let this one go without a fight! There were a clatter of brave tackles put in by the boys from Caragh to let this visiting side know what they were made of. Jack in goals now for Caragh threw his body at everything keep Kildare out. Adam Flmeing made some great runs up the side line to create some goal chances for Caragh. Adam Carberry got the ball from the half way line and dodged a number of defenders to present the ball to striker, Adam Fleming but his shot ball was well save by the Kildare netminder. Adam Fleming struck in the resulting corner but no Caragh player managed to get a touch on the ball to get Caragh that badly needed next goal. Josh Finan did extremely well to get back from midfield to prevent a certain goal chance for Kildare. However after all of this pressure by Caragh, it was Kildare that managed to get another goal to finish off the scoring for the day to make it 5-2. The match finished with the ever brave Josh again putting his body on the line and getting an almighty whack of the ball. This did not faze him as he stood up and played on for his club and went on to prevent another chance at goal for Kildare.
Overall a challenging day for Caragh with Kildare being the dominant team in terms of physicality.
Final score, Caragh Celtic 2, Kildare Town AFC 5